The Scalable Similarity Search (SSS) project http: sss.projects.itu.dk is seeking 1 talented PhD student with a strong background in algorithms theory, mathematics, or statistics, to be supervised by Professor Rasmus Pagh.
The project is funded by the European Research Council (ERC), runs in the years 2014-19, and will include a total of 3 PhD and 3 post-doc positions. The aim of the project is to improve theory and practice of algorithms for high-dimensional similarity search, and to extend similarity search algorithms to work in settings where data is distributed (using a communication complexity perspective) or uncertain (using a statistical perspective). The ideal candidate will have proven his/her talent for research through an outstanding thesis, or by publishing in reputable international conferences or journals.
The following qualifications are required:
- 3-year program: a Master’s degree equivalent to three years of bachelor level studies plus two years of Master level studies.
- 4-year program: a Bachelor degree plus one year of Master level studies.
A successful applicant typically already has an established research record inside the potential advisor’s field. A competitive application usually includes:
- A cover letter including the name of a suggested advisor at ITU who is linked to the applicant’s field of research;
- An statement of purpose, which provides evidence of independent thinking, novelty and originality, and a stateoftheart grasp of the targeted research field matching the project description outlined above
- Documentation of academic degree(s); grade transcripts that documents outstanding academic achievement;
- Curriculum Vitae, which must include two professional/academic references;
- A relevant scientific publication in a recognized, peer-reviewed, such as a major international conference or journal in the potential advisor’s field, or evidence of an excellent research master thesis;
- A letter of recommendation from a leading international researcher that is professionally known to the potential advisor.
It is understood that even highly qualified applicants will satisfy these requirements to varying degrees, for example because of differences in publication cultures in various research fields.
Early contact with our faculty staff is strongly encouraged.
The IT University of Copenhagen (ITU) is a teaching and research-based tertiary institution concerned with information technology (IT) and the opportunities it offers. The IT University has more than 70 full-time faculty members. Research and teaching in information technology span all academic activities which involve computers including computer science, information and media sciences, humanities and social sciences, cooperative work practices and technology studies, information systems, business impact and the commercialisation of IT.
Appointment and salary will be in accordance with the Ministry of Finance’s agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC).
Please read the guidelines for applicants carefully before filling in the application form. You can see the guidelines through this link:
You will need to submit one merged PDF file. Only complete applications will be processed and evaluated. Applications must be written in English. All other documents, such as transcripts must be accompanied by a translation in English or Danish.
You can only apply for this position through our e-recruitment system. Apply by clicking the button “Apply for position” in the job announcement on our website:
Questions related to the position may be directed to Professor Rasmus Pagh, email@example.com /72185284 and question related to the procedure may be directed to the Personnel Section, Kristina Køj-Udsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
The applicant will be assessed according to the Appointment Order from the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation of 25 April 2008.
Please note that all application material will be destroyed after the assessment.
Application deadline: 16th October 2014, at 23:59 CET.
Applications/enclosures received at ITU after the application deadline will not be taken into consideration. If you submit an application, it is your responsibility to ensure that it arrives before the deadline so please allow sufficient time for upload of publications and other documents.
The IT University invites all qualified researchers regardless of age, gender, religious affiliation or ethnic background to apply for the positions.
Application Deadline : 16 October 2014