Department of Agricultural Economics, University of the Free State is offering a Postdoctoral fellowship in the field of Agricultural Water Use Economics, focusing on bio-economic modeling of soil-plant-atmosphere interactions at the farm level. The position is available for a postdoctoral researcher to carry out research for a period of one to two years with the possibility to extend the period to a maximum of five years. The value of the fellowship is R220 000 per annum (non-taxable) plus R30 000 per annum to cover running expenses. The successful applicant is also allowed to apply for additional funding from his/her country of origin or other sources.
Study Field: Economic optimisation of agricultural water use, appropriate technology, Energy management
Course Level: Postdoctoral.
Scholarship Provider: Department of Agricultural Economics, University of the Free State, South Africa.
– Doctorate degree (Ph.D.) in Agricultural Economics or appropriate engineering degree. The PhD must have been completed within the last five years. Candidates who have nearly completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation.
– Academic publication record of papers published in ISI accredited journals.
– Experience in optimisation (GAMS and/or Evolutionary algorithms)
– Experience in agricultural water use simulation modelling
– Recommendations from your doctoral supervisor and one other academic qualified to give well-founded comments on the applicant’s eligibility, preferably including reviewers not working at the applicant’s own institute.
– Language skills: Must be fluent in written and spoken English.
Scholarship Open for International Students: Scientists and scholars of all nationalities may apply for this fellowship.
Scholarship Description: The research fellow has to conduct research on the development of decision support systems to optimise water use at farm level. The main focus is on the estimation of crop water requirements, costing of alternative production systems including different technologies and the evaluation of alternative energy management strategies. Publication of research results in ISI accredited scientific journals. The fellow may be involved in the mentoring/supervision of Postgraduate students.
Number of award(s): One fellowship is offered.
Duration of award(s): Fellowship is offered for 12 month with possible extension to a maximum of 60 months. Extension is conditional on performance and approval by the appropriate research authority at the university.
What does it cover? The fellowship is worth R220 000 per annum plus R30 000 per annum to cover running costs. The successful applicant is also allowed to apply for additional funding from his/her country of origin or other sources.Notification: All applicants will be notified if their application was successful within 14 days from the closing date for applications
How to Apply: Please send your academic CV together with the two recommendation letters per e-mail to CombrinckSF@ufs.ac.za. The Department of Agricultural Economics will confirm receipt of the application by email. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that he or she has submitted all the necessary documents.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Applications may be sent any time before 30 November, 2014.
Application Deadline : 30 November 2014